Monday, 7 May 2012

Spotlight On: Feats


Feats are those tricks characters pick up that give them an edge, or allow them to use skills in new and interesting ways.  They may allow them to bend or even break the rules.

Feats in Ancient Urth: Sandbox are very similar to feats in other d20 products.  I have yet to decide how often characters will get feats through levelling, as I have decisions yet to make on the class(es) I will be using. 

However, I have decided it will be possible to gain feats outside of what class and level allow.  It will be possible to be trained in the use of a feat.  Whether through the hiring of a trainer, or reward for a quest, or even an exchange of training, characters will be able to pick up new feats, as if they had chosen them on reaching a particular level.  I have yet to get into the nuts and bolts of this, how much it would cost, how long it would take, but I think this would be a very interesting way to go, especially with the rarity of magic items.

Another change I am making is allowing feats to be taken multiple times, and stacking.  So if you took Weapon Focus twice, it would give you a +2 to attacks with that specific weapon.  However, to ensure things don’t get out of hand I am also considering putting a limit on how many times you can take a feat equal to your level.

In other ways I am considering removing restrictions from feats, such as the level limits on Weapon Specialisation and Improved Critical.  I am unsure as to why these feats had limits in place, perhaps to make them more special so that you felt accomplished when you reached a level that you could take them.

Needless to say these adjustments to the way feats work will require remaking some feats, possibly downing the bonus to account for the ability to take it multiple times.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. I like the thought of feats as quest rewards, or as things you can just train in to for money. It probably allows for more diversity in customization, and could allow you to say things like:
    Reward Feat: Hero of Hamlet - +5 to any social interactions in this area, +1 to social interactions with guards in other areas due to the name made for yourself.

    Essentially, it would allow you to systematize bonuses. You could also allow things Feats that reflect the way someone has been playing.
    Again, this is the kind of things video games frequently do, and some of the more indie games have started to do, but the traditional game has tended to neglect. But in many ways, it's nice to recognize the way people are playing, and give them bonuses towards it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hadn't thought of region specific rewards like that. My thought was more, you've saved the merchant, so he rewards you with some training in bluff or sense motive. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete